Annual Recertification Course
Certified Grade 8 Referees must take an on line Recertification text each year in order to maintain their certification. If you do not take the recertification class each year, you have to re-take the Grade 8 course completly.
Annual recertification is only available for a brief period. Ususally around November 1st to December 31st.
These are somewhat generic instructions as the exact details on the CT Referee website change a bit from year to year. Go here for the 2020 detailed instructions: https://ctreferee.net/files/referee_instructions/Instructions.pdf
Here are the steps in recertifying:
1. Go to DSA site, log in under Official's Area and click on My Schedule. Count up the number of games you did as AR or CR this fall. Solo Ref Club Excel games count as a CR spot. Write those numbers down. Change the drop down to Spring 2010 to get your totals for Spring games. Add them up to get your game count for the past year.
2. Go to www.ctreferee.net, click on eReferee log in, enter your name and DOB to log in.
3. Confirm your contact info and update your game count, using the totals from the DSA site that you got in step 1.
4. Register and pay for the on line recertification. Choose clinic/courses from the drop down. Another line will appear. Choose recertification. Fill out credit card info for the fee.
5. 20XX Memoradum and Questions. Follow propmts to view the 20XX Memorandum and answer the questions. Unlimited chances to get them right. Once you answer those, you then move on to the next section, Points of Emphasis
6. Points of Emphasis- View these slides and answer the related questions. Unlimited chances to get them right. Once you answer those, you then move on to the next section, 25 question Recertification test.
7. 25 Question Recertification test. Start by trying to answer as many questions as possible the first time through . Make a list of those questions that you are unsure about.
8. Read the test taking tips below for help on how to research the correct anwers.
9. REMEMBER TO SCROLL TO THE BOTTOM OF THE TEST AND SAVE IT AT LEAST EVERY 30 MINUTES SO YOU DO NOT LOSE YOUR WORK. You can save your work and come back to it minutes, hours or days later to finish up.
10. SAVE YOUR CURRENT ANSWERS BEFORE YOU CLICK ON "SCORE THE TEST". MAKE SURE YOU HAVE DOUBLE CHECKED YOUR ANSWERS AGAINST THE LOTG. YOU ONLY HAVE 2 CHANCES TO PASS.
IF YOU FAIL THE 2ND TIME, YOU HAVE TO COMPLETELY RETAKE THE ENTRY LEVEL COURSE THE FOLLOWING SPRING.
HELPFUL TEST TAKING TIPS-
There is a large pool of questions used for the on line test. The pool is broken down into groups all pertaining to the same area of the Laws of the Game. (Fouls, Offside, etc.)
Each referee will randomly get a different group of questions from pool, so your test will be different from the next persons. However, the questions are all fairly similar. In fact, don't be surprised if you get the exact same question twice. Sometimes the system has a glitch and does this.
READ THE QUESTIONS CAREFULLY. Sometimes they wording can be confusing or tricky. If you are not confident in your answer, jot down the question number and come back to it later.
All of the questions are taken straight from the Laws of the Game and use consistent terminology.
Use that to your advantage.
Download the current laws of the game PDF here: https://www.theifab.com/home (I also reccomend you download the app and have the laws on your phone. Very handy when you need a refresh before a match or have a question after a game.)
Open up the PDF of the laws. You will be using the FIND feature (often it is CTRL F) to search the Laws for a the key phrase from each question.
As you read a question, pick out the key phrase or topic that is being asked about. (Penalty kick, Throw in, etc,) Go to the search window at the top of the PDF file and plug in that phrase. Scroll through all the hits and you will eventually come to an area of the laws that talks about the same topic the question is. D This should give you the information you need to answer the question correctly.
At the bottom of the page, there are 2 buttons. One to SAVE ANSWERS the other to GRADE THE TEST. Hit the save button at least every 30 minutes so you do not lose any of your work. When you are confident in your answers, FIRST SAVE YOUR CURRENT ANSWERS, then go ahead and grade the test. You have 2 chances to get a score of 75 or better. If you do not pass the second time, you have to retake the entire on line Entry Level course and attend a Field Training & Test session. That test is 100 questions long. Trust me, you do not want to end up doing it again.
Once you sucessfully complete your recertification, please let us know at